Using APA style research paper format appropriately
There are various styles used for writing research papers. It is mostly chosen as per the preferences of the subject area but the instructors also have the liberty to choose the style as per their preferences. During the course of your education, you will be able to get an idea of what style is preferred by your professor. If you are here, reading this, you might have been asked to prepare an assignment in the APA style research paper format. And if you have been asked to do it once, you might be asked to do it again. Hence, it would be better for you figure out the specifications of the style and understand a few basic aspects about it. .
• APA style was developed by the American Psychological Association for the specific needs of the documentation of the research data in psychology. But it is widely used by social sciences as it suits the requirements of the subject very well. There are other subjects also which prefer the APA documentation style.
• APA style is quite strict when it comes to its rules. The conditions of APA format are not very flexible. Those which are flexible have a lot of clauses attached to its options. Hence, it is necessary to read the manual carefully while using APA style research paper format, to make sure that you haven’t missed out on any points.
• One of the most important aspects which set the style apart is the use of the ‘running head’. The running head is a part of the title which would effectively convey the title matter. It should not be the complete title; but, all the same, it should make sense to the reader. This running head would appear on the right hand top corner of all the pages, preceding the page number.
• Another significant feature of the APA style research paper format which needs to be noted is the restriction in the use of footnotes. In APA style, you are not allowed to use footnotes for the purpose of citing your sources. Footnotes can be used to give any additional information which you may want to give, on the text, which is not relevant enough to be included in your research paper. But remember that footnotes are strictly forbidden for reference purposes.
• The sources are to be cited under the heading of ‘References’ in the APA style. In-text citations or parenthetical references are to be used in order to help the readers link the cited portion to the information given in the reference list.
Even if you know these basic aspects about the APA style research paper format, you must still refer to its style manual whenever you are preparing a research paper using this style. APA updates its style at regular intervals and only the latest edition will have the most accurate information on the style. If you wish to get your assignment formatted by professional academic writers, we can help you there. Our writers are highly qualified and experienced in academic writing. They will be able to format your assignment perfectly as per the instructions in the latest APA style manual. We can also offer you an outstanding research paper, custom made for you, if you wish to opt for it.